Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Grief and Goodness

Like many of you, I have found myself in tears the past few days. What happened at the treasured Boston marathon was a giant robbery. Some lost their lives, their limbs, their spirit, and their dream. It's a day that will be engrained in many minds forever, and will be replayed over and over for so many of the people who were there to witness the senseless act.

Prayers For Boston

I've been doing my share of reading the countless articles that continue to pop up, and many offer some solace in such a dark time. As Patton Oswald said, "We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago." Amen to that. When those bombs went off, people were running to them to offer any sort of assistance they were able to. Competitors, after putting their physical limits to the test for four hours, continued to the hospital after crossing the finish line. Decisions like these came naturally to those heroes. There was no second-guessing.

In times like these, it's incredibly comforting to me to think about how many good, honest people there are in this world who are "the helpers," as Mr. Rogers says. Personally, it's easy for me to get caught up in an overwhelming sadness that makes me just want to give in to tears and grief. I need to remind myself of the positive humanity that exist in the world and not let it get beat down by all the negativity and violence.

Here are some articles that have struck a cord with me:

The People Who Watch Marathons

The Boston Marathon: All My Tears, All My Love

The Helpers

By a Spectator

Keep on loving,
Brittani

No comments:

Post a Comment